August 6, 2009

Super Soul Fighters [Browsing Bands #1]

Amidst an incredibly hectic schedule, I still find time to surf the web for new bands on occasion. Sometimes I read reviews and search the bands. Other times I blindly scan the go-to for new bands to try to make a name for themselves amidst a sea of thousands upon thousands of other new bands trying to make names for themselves, Myspace. I get friend requests from bands who think they match my musical interests. The requests are often denied, but every once in awhile a rare gem presents itself.

The hit percentage is a little better with the bands that actually email me directly from my review work on other websites. But my latest "find" actually came from one of the better sources I've found for new music, actual recommendations from bands I already enjoy. The latest find and first installment in my "Browsing Bands" series is The Super Soul Fighters.

A lot of high school band's cover a hell of a lot of songs, usually making the act not much of a news point, but this one seems worth mentioning as Big D & The Kids Table even gave it a nod in the band's Myspace blog.

The six-piece band that calls itself The Super Soul Fighters, out of Granger, Ind., posted a cover of Big D's "Steady Riot," from Strictly Rude. The cover doesn't quite have the same charm, mostly notably lacking David McWane's vocal approach, but it is still quite a fun listen. It has its own charm, of a young group of guys who formed a band only two years ago having fun playing the music they love. It just has a very cool vibe to it.

And if that weren't enough, the band has also posted a cover of The Aquabats' "Super Rad," as well as a two original tracks, called "Sudo Whore" and "Here We Go," which aren't half bad. What might be more heartening about the find is knowing that there are still young bands not only starting bands to perform ska (third-wave, fourth? fifth? whatever one wants to call it), and not only that but taking influences from the right sources, like Big D and The Aquabats.

Are they the next wave of ska. No, at least not yet. The originals are a bit too derivative of what is already out there, but the band is headed in the right direction. If nothing else, they put a smile on my face when I visited the page.

Readers can check out The Super Souls Fighters HERE.

No comments:

Post a Comment